RED PEPPER, MUSHROOM AND SPINACH FRITATA RECIPE
If you have decided that this is the year you will start looking after your body by doing some form of exercise and eating less fat and sugar then the lunch time food intake could be a good place to start.
The very British sandwich with cheese and ham will have to stay in the cardboard wrapper in the chiller, sausage rolls are a definite no no and rich buttery pastries seem to be in every advert tempting you away from your goal. It seems so difficult to start a better diet off when you are surrounded by all these goodies and all you know that is good for you is a boring salad of lettuce and cucumber.
Fresh bread, for me, is one of the hardest temptations as the yeasty waft hits my nose when taking it out of the oven, I instantly start to salivate. As long as I’ve had some muesli for breakfast I can even resist the fresh bread and wait for something for lunch. With a little pre planning you don’t have to end up with the limp salad in your lunch box. I like lightly curried lentils with smoked trout or saffron rice, roasted peppers, chilli and griddled chicken but one of my favourites is Frittata because you can add whatever ingredients you fancy.
The Frittata recipe is a savoury egg dish that originates from Italy which is sometimes described as a rich quiche without the pastry. Use this recipe as a base and add in any of your favourite ingredients to make it different every time. You can eat it straight away or allow to cool for your lunch box the following day.
Fritata Recipe Ingredients
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 long red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 6 chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 100g spinach
- teaspoon thyme leaves
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Fritata Recipe Method
- Using 1 tablespoon of olive oil fry the red pepper for 5 minutes on a low heat
- Add the mushrooms and onion and cook for another 3 minutes and then add the garlic for another two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the thyme and spinach, mix together.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, season and add the pepper mix
- Rub the remaining olive oil into a deep square dish and line it with parchment paper.
- Pour in the Fritata mix and bake in a pre-heated oven 180c gas 4 for 25 minutes until the eggs are puffed and cooked.
- Cut into strips or squares and serve.